Water Treatment in
Advantages of extended Aeration System:
- Plants are easy to operate, as the management of operation is for a maximum of two or three hours per day.
- Extended aeration processes are often better at handling organic loading and flow fluctuations, as there is a greater detention time for the nutrients to be assimilated by microbes.
- Systems are odor free, can be installed in most locations, have a relatively small footprint, and can be landscaped to match the surrounding area.
- Extended aeration systems have a relatively low sludge yield due to long sludge ages, can be designed to provide nitrification, and do not require a primary clarifier.
Disadvantages of extended aeration system:
- Extended aeration plants do not achieve denitrification or phosphorus removal without additional unit processes.
- Flexibility is limited to adapt to changing effluent requirements resulting from regulatory changes.
- longer aeration period and hence requires more energy.
Skilled personnel are required for the operation and control