Water Treatment in
Global Surface Water Source.
A surface water source includes all tributary streams and rivers, natural lakes and artificial reservoirs or impound.
1. Quantity of Water
The quantity of water at the source shall be:
- Adequate to supply the treatment of water demand of the town or city.
- Reasonable surplus for anticipated growth over a design period of 20 to 30 years.
- Adequate to compensate for all losses.
- Evaluated for quantity of treatment water dependability during drought.
- Evaluated for impacts on downstream uses due to abstraction for the project.
2. Quality of Water
A sanitary survey and study should be made of factors, both natural and man made, which will affect quality. such survey and study shall include, but shall not be limited to:
- Obtaining samples over a sufficient period of times to assess the biological, physical, chemical and radiological characteristics of the treatment water.
- Assessing degree of hazard to the supply from upstream discharges and by accidental spillage of materials that may be toxic, harmful or detrimental to water treatment process.